8:35 AM Comment6 Comments


My ship, The Voyager, is set to depart this evening at 6 pm. It will take me to Woleai over the course of four or five days (Falalus is the island in the bottom left corner). I am excited for the journey to my new home. It may sound like a long time to be on a crowded ship in an expanse of blue (and I'm sure it's going to feel like it, too), but right now I'm looking forward to the voyage as a transition into my new experience. I imagine myself floating "away from the things of man," as they say in the movie Joe vs. the Volcano. But then again, I'm exciting to be floating towards the people - my new family and community. It is sad to have to leave my host family here on Yap - they've been a wonderful family and I'm going to miss them. I've been busy making hats so they won't forget me - my legacy is a crocheted one :0)!

Well, I need to be off to do some last minute packing, make some final phone calls, and hopefully get a letter or two in the mail while I still have access to a post office.

Thank you everyone for your tremendous support. It's because of you that I have the strength and excitement to get on a boat and begin this big adventure out in Woleai. It's called 'ubuntu' - I am because you are. It will be some time before we're able to connect via conventional means, but think of me now and then, as I'll do you, and we'll connect often.

In a spirit of ubuntu and gratitude,
emily

6 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW...am excited to know you're going to my "home sweet home." I'm actually from Falalus and am in San Diego now for some time. I hope to be seeing you and hear more of your experiences on the islands. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I will think of you often. Love you. We'll miss you at Christmas too. We'll drink a toast to you. I love ubutu. We are all one. Love, Cate

Anonymous said...

Bon voyage, Emily. Will keep you in my thoughts as you find your way in this wonderful and awesome adventure. Love, Ryan

Anonymous said...

emily, im frm falalus too n that mexican burrito cindy frm san diego is my sister. lol i hope u hve a good time in my home island. it'll be a throwback into the dark ages for u bt i hope u enjoy it. much aloha from maui hawaii.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless
I'd figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring a blog article
or vice-versa? My blog addresses a lot of the same subjects as yours and I think we
could greatly benefit from each other. If you might be interested feel
free to shoot me an email. I look forward to hearing from you!
Wonderful blog by the way!
Also visit my web-site :: onoranze funebri roma

Anonymous said...

Wow, this post is pleasant, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds of things, therefore I am going to tell her.
my web site > visit the following web site

Post a Comment