12:45 PM Comment1 Comments

I leave tomorrow on the plane to return to Federai. Looking back on all the wonderful events and experiences during my vacation, I’m nothing but grateful.

First there was Mid-Service Training for the Peace Corps in Pohnpei. It was the first time the whole of our group came together since we began in the fall of 2009 and it was delightful to reconnect, catch up, and deepen relationships. I know this is often claimed of many groups, but we really do have a strong group dynamic based on friendship, love, and support. It all began when the Palau volunteers flew into Yap and we all went to Guam for a 13 hour lay-over. Despite being sleep-deprived and unaware of the hotel room PC paid for us, the ten of us navigated our time in Guam wonderfully and never once got cranky or mutinous. After visiting one of the world’s largest K-marts and feasting on American fast food (eeek culture shock!), we flew to Chuuk for yet another reunion with Porter, Andrea, Trevor, Kirby, and Dan. Still without any sleep, we flew into Pohnpei and headed up to our hotel. Everyone in the Yap and Palau group had been up since Saturday Morning and so went to bed…well, not everyone. By some unknown power I was able to stay up all night, laughing, joking, and talking until the cloudy sunrise. I knew I could sleep every other night of my life, but that the moment that night was a once in a lifetime opportunity – it was the looking forward to this reconnection that helped keep me going during the hard times the previous year, and it was our laughter that seem to make it all worthwhile.

Laughter was the signature throughout the rest of my time at MST. There was drinking cocoa and crocheting like old ladies, my first toga party, a do-or-die dance party, accidentally missing the staff/volunteer softball game, and watching movies and telling poop stories. Our final night together, us M76s went to dinner. At the suggestion of the fabulous and beautiful Gita Drew, each person stood up and shared a reflection on how amazing, dynamic, and supportive we are as a group (ding ding goes our own bell). I shared on the beauty of each member, another shared about how her door will always and unconditionally be open to us in the future as we continue to be friends. Although we were missing a few people who had already left for their sites, the sense of unity, friendship, and frankly family was life-motivating. Allow me to say this group of people jazzes me to be alive. It really is a beautiful thing.

As are my friends and family back home. For the first time in three years I was able to spend Christmas with my family. On the way home from Guam, I passed over Colorado as I flew the plenty plenty hours to the east coast. It seems my thirst for wintery weather helped provoke the first snows to Maine this season. Over a very quick (and COLD!) two days in Maine I reconnected with a good number of great friends. Unfortunately, two days is not a lot of time to catch up on almost two years away, so the next time I’ll have to visit longer 

I had such a lovely reunion with my family when I landed in Denver. My plane was late which allowed my parents to stake out prime real estate at the “waiting area” bar in DIA. My parents had both angles covered and I was delighted to see my dad as I came up the escalator and then hear my mom cry out from the other side when she saw me. And thanks be to the customs gods that I got all my bags through! Then it was into the family jeep on straight on to dinner. Along the way my brother Noah asked me what was one thing I wanted to make sure I did while I was home. Tired and hungry, the first thing that came to my mind was “Mexican food.” Lo and behold we were en route to meet my other brother Nate at none other than a Mexican restaurant. It was wonderful after so long away to simply be in the presence of my family, not to mention sharing a meal and stories together.

The highlight of my vacation was Christmas dinner at Grannie’s house with the whole family, laughing, joking, eating. While home I also helped make cookies, volunteered with my hardworking and amazing parents with their food pantry project, attended our candle light Christmas Eve service, and went to my friends’ golden birthday party…Oh yeah, and the dentist. Here’s my advice. The best way to approach your first root canal is mid brewery tour with your brother, sister, and friends. Not a bad itinerary for a snowy afternoon: Left Hand Brewery, Comfort Dental, Mountain Sun.

And what better way to follow-up a wonderful trip home to the family than to head to South America to visit your bosom friend? Well, check out my previous post on this one.

Which pretty much brings me up to date. Yap, lost bags, head colds, barrels of oil, host brother’s birthday, PCV friends, and planning for the future. Right now I’m looking at coming in for a quick resource trip after graduation in May. Then there’s our official Close of Service Conference around the beginning of August. Then I’m pretty much in the home stretch. Now, I’m sure many of you are asking, what then, after Peace Corps? Well, try this on for size. Jordan. Just sayin’.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...



My blog :: how to win the lottery

Post a Comment