3:07 PM Comment2 Comments

Hello friends! I am back in Yap after my first couple of months on Falalus, my new island home. I have many stories and other fun things to share about my experiences that will be forthcoming. Be on the lookout for new on Xmas/New Year's festivities and my pet sea turtle :-)!!

For the time being, I am simply writing to let you know that I am back in the realm of communication for the next few weeks (at least three-ish, if not longer). So now's the time to shoot me an email letting me know how you are and what's going on in your life. I'd love letters as well, time permitting. I am going to make several calls via Skype. Be on the lookout for an international call from your favorite topless islander :-P

The most urgent reason for this post, however, is an earnest request for care packages. Before I headed out, I was loaded with a bevy of booty that has served me wonderfully over the last few months (without which I may have lost all my sanity). As it turns out, the supplementary items from home gave me not only dietary support, but also spiritual and emotional support (literally, it's been soul food). So thank you, all of you.

The best way I can ask you to support me on this adventure is to keep sending care packages. I should be able to get whatever is sent in the next week or so before I head out. Plus, I will be able to receive them whenever a ship comes my way from Yap, which is around every 3-4 months. And the best way for you to send them is with USPS flate rate boxes. There is simply not much variety, nutrition, or frankly flavor in my local diet, so I can assure you that anything and everything will (and has been) appreciated. The easiest things are dehydrated or 'just add water' goodies and prepackaged foods. If a whole care package isn't feasible, letters from home feed my soul in just the same way. Here is a broad list of possible items from home that will make me jump for joy in my lavalava...but of course, please give as you like (I love seeing each of you in your different choices!):

  • Dehydrated fruits or veggies, preferably without sugar
  • Just Add H2O Creations (like Zatarran's, Rice-a-roni, soups, etc.)
  • Mac and cheese!!!
  • Instant mashed potatoes
  • Fantastic Foods brand goodies
  • Hummus mix (esp. Fantastic foods brand)
  • Snack bars (Kashi, Cliff, Lara, Nature's Path, etc.)
  • Fruit leather
  • Crackers, esp. Chedder Bunnies
  • Anything cheesy :-)
  • Pancake mixes, or mixes I can make dumplings with
  • Instant oatmeal
  • Corn meal
  • Small bags of flour
  • Agave nectar
  • Cereal (Kix, bran flakes, Lucky Charms, Peanut Butter Bumpers, anything really...I can eat it with homemade coconut milk!)
  • Bouillon
  • BBQ sauce (great on taro and dried ramen)
  • FLAVOR - seasoning packets, spices to add to dried beans, driend onions, garlic, etc.
  • Spirutein Packets (any yummy flavors) or other powdered healthy mixes to add to water
  • Tea (Good Earth, Chai, Constant Comment, Earl Grey, decaff is good)
  • Chocolate goodies and/or cookies
  • Candy
  • Tetra packed milk (shelf stable milk)
  • Snack mixes
  • Nuts
  • Surpise me

Non-food items include:

  • Books you think I might like
  • Fun yarn (despite the heat, people here love hats)
  • Fun pictures/posters/maps I can use in the classroom
  • Music you think might keep my spirits up (CDs work)
  • Any fun videos or movies you can get on a CD
  • Ideas for fun class activities/games
  • Whatever you want to send me!

This is a much bigger list than I thought it would be and please, do not feel obligated to follow it (or to send anything at all). There are lots of kinds of support, and I am thankful for your support in whatever form it comes.

2 comments:

Ghana Be Free said...

Em-
You're in my thoughts and have my admiration! Can't wait to send you treats. Thanks for the heads up! much luv.

Unknown said...

can feel also your happiness from your articles!

Post a Comment