1:51 PM Comment5 Comments

We - meaning the other 6 Yapese volunteers and I - arrived in Colonia two nights ago. Our first night was spent at a hotel and yesterday, in rainy rainy weather, we met our host families.

I wish I could say it was smooth sailing, but I seem to have contracted some degree of food poisoning. The good news is that my new host mom is a wonderful mom, taking care of me on my very first day with her like I am one of her own. The worst has past, but I'm still recovering. My fingers are crossed that it's nothing parasitic, just food-related.

Just a quick review of my experience so far: the first three weeks were spent in Phase 1 of PST, during which we had daily class sessions on culture, TESL, and community-development. Not very specific or terribly useful. However, PST at PATS (the facility in a rural municipality on Pohnpei called Madoleniemw) was a very special opportunity to bond with my fellow PCVs. It made branching off into our smaller training groups difficult, but it was wonderful to establish the community that we did. Plus, my training group here on Yap is super.

I know I posted about my 'buzz' adventures in paradise, of cliff jumping into the ocean and rope-swinging into tropical waterfalls. But there have been many more edifying and positive experiences on a smaller scale, such as JR (the 3 yr. old) finally warming up to me; the sound of the 'kissing' lizards; the taste of fresh vegetables and kimchi paste; of the rain and the support from other volunteers.

Well, good news to report - I have just eaten my first solid food in a day and things are going well.

I hope that you are all well and let me know how you are doing.

5 comments:

Xoxo Kristin said...

You are amazing -- I'm so impressed by your open and courageous soul -- be well my beautiful friend! (on the home front, nick and I move in together in portland this week!)

Anonymous said...

Yay for solid food! I'm eating solid food again... not because of being sick like you, I had a nasty cold last week so soup, water, and tea was my diet for about 4 days! The volleyball program got hit hard... probably 15 girls sick last week out of 42, not the best odds, and naturally I was the only coach to get their germs! Nothing terribly exciting other than the usual crazy Colorado weather, near-freezing last week then almost 90 degrees this weekend (got a sunburn!). Oh yeah, went to Niwot's Homecoming FB game... *sigh!
Take care, sending something soon I hope! And did you ever see 500 Days of Summer? Thoughts?
--Jamie

Anonymous said...

Em, it sounds wonderful! I miss you over here, but what a fantastic situation you have created for yourself! I hope that your tummy feels better soon, and good new about the spam :)Will write soon, through snail mail, of course :P Lots of Love, Jamie O

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily, So exciting to hear from you. I've been thinking a lot about you, esp since Common Ground Fair was this past weekend. I ran into Courtney which was nice. Went to the Fair on Sat., and the weather was beautiful, but cool. Unfortunately, Sunday, it poured. Saw Julie & Julia last night. It was great. You'll have lots of movies to catch up on when you get home. Sorry you've been sick. Hope you are back to normal now. Love you. Cate

Anonymous said...

HAs anyone tried to use Emily's address yet?

I entered it into the USPS site to try to register sending a package and they don't recognize this address... even though Yap is one of the selections you can pick for international mailing. They keep telling me to use the United States for an APO/PO box...

Please send me an email if you know the secret combo ( and probably post it here for others as well.

thanks,

Mary
mchaneylac@gmail.com

Post a Comment